Monday, August 29, 2011

Word-less

As I sat down to write this blog today, my mind went blank. I didn't know what I should write about. I felt so limited in the amount of wisdom or insight I could give to whoever happened to read this latest entry. Some days are like that. We feel word-less. We don't know what to say. As a counselor, I feel powerless and incompetent when that happens.

I'm supposed to be wise and capable. Able to ask the right question in the right timing and with great perception. Most days I'm pretty good at this, but not every day. Some days, I am advice-less. It's not that I'm temporarily stupid, just...not sharp. And when that happens, I have a choice to make. Do I allow myself to sit in my lack of astuteness and wallow in a "woe-is-me" mindset of uselessness or do I choose a better path?

The better path of being available. Whether I have the right words to write or say is not the only thing that helps others. Important, yes, but not all. I have found some of the most meaningful and healing sessions have been when there was little said. But I was present and with my clients in the middle of their pain. Those quiet moments are sacred and rich.

I am reminded of Psalm 85:10-13: "Love and faithfulness meet together; righteousness and peace kiss each other. Faithfulness springs forth from the earth, and righteousness looks down from heaven. The Lord will indeed give what is good, and our land will yield its harvest. Righteousness goes before him and prepares the way for his steps."

I'm thankful that God can use anyone (even those of us with limited vocabularies) to minister His love, righteousness and peace.

Isaiah 31:17 says, "The fruit of righteousness will be peace; the effect of righteousness will be quietness and confidence forever."

~Shannon Shertzer, MS, NCC

No comments: