Monday, August 1, 2011

Refreshment

Summer usually means vacation. Not only do children get a break from school but also adults often take a one or two week vacation from their jobs during the summer months. I guess I am no different than most people, as the 3rd week of July, my husband and I enjoyed a few days in the beautiful hills of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania. We played a lot of golf, did some sightseeing, walking, talking, and reading. We ate when we felt like it, and basically did what we wanted and didn't do anything that we didn't feel like doing. This is called refreshment, right? And we all deserve it, right?

One of the things that I noticed during our sightseeing was how dry everything was. The grass was brown and hard, but it was the corn that struck me the most. It was small and spindly and its leaves were pointed straight up. It was as though they had their arms outstretched to God and were pleading for water. I couldn't help but parallel this with my thirst for God. Do I have my arms outstretched and open for him to pour down his love on me? All of us feel like we deserve a vacation from our jobs and maybe we do. However, I want to realize that God is always there for me and all I need to do is reach up my arms to Him and He will pour down refreshment on me.

The day we came home it rained. I couldn't help but think that God saw the corn's distress and answered its pleading. If this is how God refreshes the corn, which is here today and harvested in the fall, will he not refresh me more?

Mary Lehman

No comments: