Thursday, March 24, 2011

What, me stressed???

Sometimes I allow myself to feel like everything is just too much for me to handle--my life, job, family, and future. The problem is, the more I think about my problems, going over things again and again in my head, the more overwhelming it can seem. I have learned several ways to manage the stress in my life better:
1. Connect with others. It helps me a lot when I can talk over a cup of coffee, where I am able to share my feelings and help clear my mind of confusion so that I can see things more clearly. Things are usually not as bad as I first imagined!
2. Go outside and walk. Exercising outside in the sunshine brings me home sweaty but happy. Other exercise might work for you...
3. Eat nutritious food. This fuels my mind as well as my body, especially if I cut down on the sugar.
4. Do something for myself every day. I can read a novel, take a walk, dance or sing to music while making dinner, or call a close friend.
5. Be thankful. CHOOSE to count my blessings!!
6. Learn to live one day at a time.
These last two ways remind me of Philippians 4:4-7. "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!...Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
When I get the focus OFF of me and ONTO the Lord, my perspective is less skewed, and I no longer have to "be in control!" After all, I really am not. I just have to recognize this. Again :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. Thank you for sharing this.

Dot said...

double AMEN!