Monday, September 15, 2014

Falling in Love With Jesus

      I was asked to speak at the Annual Women’s Day Brunch at my church yesterday. This year’s theme was “Falling in Love with Jesus”. I was asked to use this theme in conjunction with Mark 7:24-30 where we see how Jesus honors a Greek Woman’s faith. It reads:

24 Jesus left that place and went to the vicinity of Tyre.[a] He entered a house and did not want anyone to know it; yet he could not keep his presence secret. 25 In fact, as soon as she heard about him, a woman whose little daughter was possessed by an impure spirit came and fell at his feet. 26 The woman was a Greek, born in Syrian Phoenicia. She begged Jesus to drive the demon out of her daughter.

27 “First let the children eat all they want,” he told her, “for it is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”

28 “Lord,” she replied, “even the dogs under the table eat the children’s crumbs.”

29 Then he told her, “For such a reply, you may go; the demon has left your daughter.”

30 She went home and found her child lying on the bed, and the demon gone.

            As I read this passage, I reflected on the qualities of her faith that prompted Jesus to honor it in such a way. I shared three qualities:

1.      She humbled herself. We see that because it says she “fell at his feet” (vs.25).

2.      She persisted in spite of him initially ignoring her. In Matthew 15:23, it says “But He answered her not a word”. She also persisted in spite of His saying that He was not sent to her. He had replied “for it is not right to take the children’s (referencing the Jews to whom he was first sent to reconcile back to God) bread and toss it to the dogs (symbolic for the Gentiles which she was) (vs, 27).

3.      She believed that even the smallest of crumbs that falls from God’s table was sufficient for her needs. She knew He was the only One who could help her.

This is a powerful passage. It certainly shows that Jesus never turns away anyone genuinely seeking His help.

There have been many times in my life that God has honored my faith, The more that I put my faith in Him and the more that he honors my faith like He did for this woman, the more I trust Him and the deeper I fall in love with Him. I’m falling in love with Jesus more and more each day.

 
Submitted by: Ann L. Gantt, Ph.D., LCSW, NEW HOPE counselor

No comments: