Monday, July 21, 2014

Words Can Make Your Day

A few weeks ago, my husband and I received some disappointing news that we weren't expecting. Suddenly life looked complicated. On one particular day, when I was feeling especially discouraged, our son, Jay, called and asked if Steve and I could watch their children that evening while they went to a viewing. I was happy to say yes. We love being with our grandkids and it would be nice to take a break from the thoughts and problems that consumed us.

I drove the car up to their house and Steve followed about an hour later with the tractor and sprayer as he was planning to spray some of Jay's corn fields for him the next day. The evening was beautiful and the children were just eating their supper when I got there. My son and his wife soon left and as they walked out to their car, 3 year old Lydia said happily to me over her mouthful of macaroni and cheese, "I like when Mommy and Daddy go away and you come and stay with us." Awww. My heart just melted and the day suddenly got brighter. It is amazing how a few words can lift your spirits. How nice it is to feel loved.

After they finished eating, the children and I went outside and played on the swing set and did other fun stuff in the yard while we waited for Grandpa to arrive. We finally saw the tractor and sprayer coming up the road and the children ran and sat at the edge of the yard while Steve parked the tractor over by the barn. As he walked over to us here is a video of them calling his name. What a welcome for him. Again, how nice it is to feel loved! (I love the little boy echo at the end.)

 
It was such a fun evening spent with our grandkids. Both Steve and my spirits were lifted by the precious words of children. Since then, I have been consciously trying to say kind words to people when they least expect it. It is rewarding to see their surprised expression and then watch their face turn into a thankful smile.
 
Have you blessed someone with a kind word lately?

Mary Lehman
Secretary

No comments: