Monday, January 6, 2014

Resolutions

With each New Year a lot of people make New Year Resolutions, but what does that really mean?  To be resolute means to be determined to make a change, and unwavering in our decision.  For some that is a firm decision to stick with a “new” plan.  What does a “new” plan consist of?  It should mean that I am determined to change my behavior and I will not change my mind.  So how do I become held accountable?

As a Christian I can ask a mature sister in Christ to become my accountability partner.  That partner needs to be someone that I trust and a reliable encourager to help me navigate life’s journey.  So does that take the pressure off of me?  Absolutely not!  I need to have a quiet spirit that is willing to listen to my partner as they offer me constructive criticism as well as being humble to hear what I am doing that is pleasing to God.

I also need to be held accountable to Christ as he has always been my accountability partner.  So many times as Christians we forget that important piece of our faith.  Our human nature comes into play and we need to have that “visual” accountability partner to help us stay focused on Christ!  Staying accountable for our New Year Resolutions is not an easy task when we try to strive for them alone; however, it is comforting to know that there are others who will walk beside us and hold us up with prayer!

Have a Happy & Healthy New Year!

Elaine Campbell, MA, MHC

No comments: