Monday, January 13, 2014

Remembering What Is Important

It’s almost hard to believe that the holiday season has come and gone. As I reflect on the holiday season and its meaning, I think about what is most important about it. It can be so easy to become distracted in the society and culture in which we live. We are bombarded by so many advertisements about material things. Of course, that is not to say it is bad to give material gifts. I am thankful, though, that as a Christian I realize that Jesus Christ is the greatest gift.

I am also thankful for the gift of family and friends. I always look forward to the food and fellowship that we share. My nine-year-old granddaughter captured this truth very well when she wrote the following to me:

                        Thank you for the great Thanksgiving we had. I liked the amazing

food you made. I liked the corn pudding and the white chicken. It

was so good you should become a cook one day. But my fravroit [sic]

part was haveing [sic] my friends and family with me.

                                                                        Love,

                                                                        Ariyanna Gantt          

Let us continue to remember that which is most important to us, not just when the holidays are here, but every day throughout the year.

“Do you hear what these children are saying?” they asked him.

“Yes,” replied Jesus, “have you never read,” ‘From the lips of

children and infants you, Lord, have called forth your praise’?”

Matthew 21:16

Ann L. Gantt, Ph.D., LCSW
New Hope Counselor

No comments: