Monday, June 10, 2013

Dad

I am thankful to still have my dad around as we celebrate Father's Day this week. I have learned many things from my dad that have definitely shaped my life.

My dad loves sports so I grew up knowing Tom Landry (with his overcoat and hat), Roger Stauback, the Orioles and the Baltimore Colts. I remember watching the Super Bowl back when it first started.

My dad loves to stop at diner's when we go on a road trip. I love to walk into a diner and try to figure out how good the food will be. My dad and I look no further than the dessert case. If it is full of fresh homemade desserts, we know we will get a good meal. And, we will save room for that homemade dessert.

My dad has always been an avid reader. He would have his stack of books next to him as he settled down to read. In that stack were the Reader's Digest and his Bible. What a privilege to observe my dad reading his Bible on a regular basis. I also always have a stack of books, and my stack also includes my Bible.

No father is perfect. My dad provided for us and I always knew that he loved me. However, he did not demonstrate that love much and was not one to tell us that he loved us. I do know that he prays for me frequently. And, when he was younger he never minded picking me up when I got stranded, no matter how far he had to drive.

When we think about God as our Father, we often think about our earthly Father and want to give God some of those same qualities. We study our fathers unconsciously and often believe God will be like that. However, as I look into God's word, I learn what God as my Father is really like. He is unchanging, He knows all, is over all, has perfect love, is full of grace and mercy. These are some of God's qualities and characteristics.

So, where will I learn about God and what He is really like? Will I just look at my father and other dads that I know? Or, will I study God's Word and learn to know the God of the Bible, the God who is my eternal Father and loves me perfectly?

Deb Riddell
Closet Manager

No comments: