Monday, January 7, 2013

New Year Resolutions

     How many of us come up with New Year resolutions every year and wind up trying for awhile or just never "get around to it"? As Christians how many times have we tried to read the Bible in a year, learn memory verses, or join a Bible study? Probably more times than we are ready to admit! I find it is no different than trying to get in shape, losing weight, or eating healthier.

     A recent devotion I read in Our Daily Bread gave me a new perspective on our Christian walk. The author of the devotional, David Roper, shared a unique practice he implemented several years ago to draw closer to God. He reads some verses out of one of the Gospels and then puts himself into the story. David writes, "Put yourself in the story--in the place of the leper He healed with His loving touch, for example (Mark 1:40-45). Think about how much He loves you and then thank Him!" As a therapist, clients come to me for assistance with coping in their day to day lives and issues that plague them. I try to look at their lives through their eyes to help and I am in constant communication with God during a session. I encourage them to do the same.

     What about outside of sessions? I need to keep that vertical communicaiton with God open for all of my day to day issues. Every day I need to constantly remember to thank God for getting me through all of life's challenges no matter how big or small. Like everyone else I am not perfect and there are many times I try to take matters into my own hands; however, it always leads me back to Him. God reminds me that I can't do it without his love and strength to get me through each and every day. A good reminder as we start a New Year!

Have a Happy & Healthy New Year!

Elaine Campbell, MA

No comments: