Monday, January 21, 2013

A Tribute to My Mother, Ruth King Horst


Shared by Tom Horst at his mother's memorial service on January 20, 2013

Dearest Mother:
 
Where does one begin to thank you in a few minutes for all  you have meant to me and to Thelma and our sons, daughter-in-law and grandchildren? There are a few highlights I'd like to share out of many I could choose from.

First of all, thanks for being a wonderful Mother to me. I have already said to Dad how much I appreciate how he loved you and provided a stable, loving environment in which to grow as children. Thank you for loving Dad and providing a good model to follow in our marriage. I always remember you supporting Dad and having a unified front when it came to family matters. I felt loved by you, even in the times when we dis-agreed. I also recall you and Dad travelling together to Costa Rica to visit Nancy and me when we were there in Voluntary Service. Thanks for the letters you wrote while I was away those 2 + years. I felt affirmed by you in the choices I made, especially when I chose to marry Thelma and then to enter the ministry.  It also meant a lot when you and Dad moved to Mississippi back in the late '80s, so that you could be close to Nancy and Spencer and Thelma and me and our children, and also serve the Mennonite churches in the Gulf States area.

That's something I remember about you, too. You were always ready to make the most of opportunities to touch people's lives on a deep level. As I read over sympathy cards with Dad the other night, that came through strongly in what people wrote. Mom, there are souls in the kingdom of heaven today, because of your influence...what an eternal treasure! I know you can see all those people now that you helped and ministered to over the years.

But getting back to your role as our Mother...as I have thought of all you've done over the years, I think of a verse in Mark 14, where a woman came an anointed Jesus with expensive perfume and people were indignant about it, saying this was a waste of money. Jesus said in her defense: "Leave her alone...she has done a beautiful thing to me...she did what she could." I think these words typify your life, Mother. You did what you could as a wife and mother. Were you perfect? No. But you did your best as a woman of faith and as our Mother. You did your best and to me, your best was what we needed and it was certainly enough.

There were some things that you did the best in, hands down! I don't think anyone could have done better: like baking bread, making pumpkin and shoofly pies, taking care of my clothes ( I can still see you darning my socks), canning and freezing, keeping flower beds, and providing good advice. I remember one time when I came to you, experiencing emotional stress and anxiety over a decision I had to make. I said to you, "What if the decision I make isn't the right one?" And you said to me, "Son, don't be so afraid of making a mistake. Just move ahead, trust God and he will guide you."

You also did your best as a woman in the places you found yourself: as a pastor's wife in the 40s, 50s and 60s, and then as a bishop's wife in the 70s and 80s. You were always supportive of Dad, even in a day when your support meant some sacrifices for you...in how you dressed, in how much you could let your voice be heard in a day when women's voices were not heard, in the time Dad gave to ministry opportunities which took him away from you and the family and in the opportunities that were available to you as a woman with many gifts. Some of those gifts certainly had to placed on the back burner. I personally think you would have made an excellent school teacher! I wonder what that was like for you...you never really talked about that, but I wonder what you were thinking and feeling inside. Thank you for your sacrifice.

So thanks, Mom, for investing your life in me as your son, and in the lives of my sisters and our families. A significant part of who and what I am today, as a follower of Jesus Christ, as a husband and father, and in my role in the people-helping profession, is because of your influence on my life. Having you as my Mother was/is truly a priceless treasure.

Lovingly,

Your Son,
Tom

No comments: