Monday, October 15, 2012

Grandchildren!


     I’ve been taking my turn writing this blog for almost two years now and I often mention my family in my postings. However, I don’t think that I have ever written about my grandchildren.  We have two granddaughters and are expecting another grandchild later this month.  So, today, I am writing about them.  This is not a spiritual blog, but just a “fun” blog because grandchildren are fun!
     We’ve all seen the bumper sticker, “Ask me about my grandchildren!”  I used to read those words and kind of roll my eyes in disgust.  Everyone says that grand parenting is great but could it really be THAT great? The answer is YES!

     Here is an example of what grand parenting does to you.  Last month was the annual Solanco Fair.  To the locals in and around Quarryville this is a huge event. While I do enjoy a fair, it is not high on my priority list and when someone asked me if I was going to the parade on Wednesday evening I replied that I didn’t plan to go.  I didn’t have a big desire to fight the traffic and noise to see something that wasn’t that special to me.  Fast forward to a few days later when I received this phone call from my 3-year old granddaughter, Alexis.
Alexis: “Granmaw!  Do you want to go to Sanco prade with me?

Suddenly there was nothing I wanted to do more!
Me: “I would love to go to the parade with you. Are your mommy and daddy coming too?”

Alexis: “Weell, Mommy is gowing out to eat with frens but Daddy can come.  Can Lydia (her 1-year old sister) come too?”
 Me: “Of course Lydia can come. Make sure you bring a basket for candy.”

Alexis: “Weell, it’s upstairs. I’ll get it.”
Me: “What about one for Lydia?”

Alexis: “Weell, she doesn’t have a baskit. (long pause) She can share mine.”
Me: “That’s really nice of you. I’m so glad you asked me! I can’t wait to see the parade with you!”

Alexis: “Okay! Bye!”
Me: “Bye!”

     Probably now some of you that don’t have grandchildren are rolling your eyes.  What is it about grandchildren that just melts our hearts and causes us to drop almost anything to spend time with them?  I have often pondered this question.  I can honestly say that I loved raising my children and I truly enjoyed each stage of their lives. I didn’t wish for them to grow up faster or want them to hurry up and move on from a phase that they were in. I tried to live in the moment and just enjoy each and every stage. 
     So the big question really is: Do I love grand parenting more than I loved parenting?  Honestly, I’m not sure if that is a fair comparison but I can definitely say I love it differently than parenting.  Here are just a few things that make grand parenting special:

·         When they cry because they don’t want to leave Grandma’s house.

·         When they call you on the phone and ask, “When are you coming to my house?”

·         When they go directly to the cupboard where you keep the snacks and point.

·         When they want to go home with you.

·         When they look and act just like their daddy did when he was a child.

·         When they cry and throw a tantrum and you realize that you really don’t have to deal with it J
     I think this last point is the icing on the cake for grandparents. We get to enjoy everything fun about the child but don’t have to discipline them. We are there to love them and pamper them. Of course, we don’t let them get away with murder, but for the most part the serious corrections are left up to the parents. The bottom line is that being a grandparent is a lot less stressful than being a parent. I think that is why we enjoy it so much.  

     Proverbs 17:6 says that “grandchildren are the crowning glory of the aged.” Well, if having grandchildren makes one “aged” it is worth it.
Mary Lehman

Secretary


 
 
 
 

No comments: