Monday, August 13, 2012

Scars

My family enjoys vacationing in Vermont.  We stay in a cabin near a lake that allows us time to rest, hike, read, and visit local attractions. Vermont is a beautiful state with mountains and many streams that are visible as you travel any road and always offers me a time of refuge as a pass through its borders.

In September 2011 Hurricane Irene went through Pennsylvania and continued to Vermont where it brought rain, rain and more rain. The streams and rivers that often meander over rocks became ugly brown rushing torrents of water. Soon the water rushed over roads and flooded homes. Vermont experienced a vast amount of destruction especially in the middle of the state.

When we visited Vermont this past summer, I was amazed by the signs of destruction that were still very evident. Roads had been repaired and there were new rock beds along the side of the road. We saw some homes that were still half standing although they were completely destroyed. We went on a hike that we have gone on many times before. After hiking along part of the Appalachian Train, we went to the stream to cool off in the water. As the stream came into view we saw how the hurricane had changed the whole shape of this small body of water. The clearing leading to the stream was much larger and the stream itself was much smaller than we had ever seen it. It was still beautiful. We still cooled off. And, we still enjoyed ourselves. But, it was changed. Here and many other places throughout this gorgeous state we saw many scars.

I thought about my life. It is full of scars that have come through loss, hurt, shame and disappointment. But, there is still beauty there. In fact, the scars add to the beauty of each of our lives. Because of my scars, I can understand the pain that others go through. I can share grace, love and mercy as others go through difficulties because I have been extended grace, love and mercy myself.

Jesus' life is the ultimate example of a life that was scarred. He was beaten and died for me. I have a Savior who understands my pain. And, because He can understand, I find strength from Him. We do endure storms in our lives here on earth. I can allow those storms to devastate me, or I can allow them to bring more beauty into my life. 

As the song "Never Once" by Matt Redman says:

Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say
Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did you leave us on our own.
You are faithful, God you are faithful
Carried by Your constant grace
Held within Your perfect peace
Never once, no, we never walk alone.

Deb Riddell
Closet Manager


No comments: