Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mother

I've been thinking a lot about my mother. Yes, Mother's Day is coming up very soon, but I don't only think of my mother on that special day. I guess I think a lot about her because she's now 90 years of age and I wonder sometimes just how long my mom will be with us. Here are some reflections on how I feel about my mother.

It's such a blessing to have her still be able to come to family events. On Easter Sunday she and my dad came to our home for dinner, along with other family members. When I called earlier that week to invite Mom and Dad to come, Dad asked: "Is there anything we can bring?" And I said, "Well, Mom sure can make some good pies! Is she up to baking this week?" Dad said, "I'd better let her speak to that." So Mom got on the phone, and in her halting voice (she had a stroke 11 years ago) she asked: "What kind of pies would you like?" "Well," I replied, "one has to be pumpkin, for sure, and the other one, well, Mom, you can decide." I think she brought a cherry crumb pie along with the pumpkin pie! Point is, the pies were so good, and baked with the same meticulous care as Mom has always given to her cooking and baking specialties.

Mom's been a great mother. Not perfect, but great, none the less. She and Dad raised seven of us and Mom's been such a part of our lives. I recall the times she took care of me when I was sick, helped with school projects, encouraged me in my life with the Lord, traveled to visit me, along with Dad, when I was far from home, serving in missions in Costa Rica in the 1970s. I remember the handwritten letters she would send, keeping me up to date with home-happenings, encouraging me when the work was difficult, and signing her letters with love.

Mom has also been a great example of how a husband and wife can journey through life together. Along with Dad, she has been a great role model of love, service, communication, respect and honor, and dedication in marriage. This is a gift she has given to our family.

I believe I am in the place I am today, enjoying a fulfilling life, a great marriage, and three wonderful sons, a lovely daughter-in-law (and 2 sweet grandchildren), partly because of the godly mother God gave me. I know some are not blessed with the kind of mother I have, but I want to take this time to say, "Thanks, Mom. You're the best and a wonderful gift from God. Thanks for allowing God to use you to bless my life, the life of my wife and family, and the lives of my sisters and their families. Happy Mother's Day!"

Tom Horst, MA
Marriage and Family Therapist

No comments: