Monday, May 14, 2012

Dear Mommy...

On Sunday, May 13, we again celebrated Mother's Day. I paused to reflect about my own mother who has been with the Lord for almost five years. I was reminded about the importance of telling our mothers how much we love and appreciate them. Yes, for what they do. But even more importantly, because of WHO THEY ARE.

I was reading Psalm 31 and in verse 30 it says: "Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." I feel blessed that I had a mother who truly feared the Lord. I tried to take every opportunity to praise her. I want to share a poem with you that I wrote to my mother on November 18, 2000:

Dear Mommy...

Dear Mommy, these words are coming your way,
As we pause to honor you on this day,
You've been such a blessing over the years,
Together we have shared smiles and tears.

You have taught us how to walk with the Lord,
You've showed us how to live in one accord,
You have been there through the good times and bad,
You've comforted us when our hearts were sad.

We praise God for a dear mother like you,
You are so gentle, loving, kind and true,
God bless you as you continue this race,
Your love has made this world a better place.

Being a mother myself, I desire to follow the example that mine gave me. May we take the time to priase our mothers, not just on Mother's Day, but every day.

Ann L. Gantt, Ph.D., LCSW
New Hope Counselor

No comments: