Monday, April 9, 2012

Contentment

On March 30, 2012 millions of people bought lottery tickets in the hopes of winning part of the $640 million dollar jackpot. The hope for quick money is appealing to many of us.

A customer came into the store the same day of the drawing and tried to convince me to buy a lottery ticket. This customer felt like their life would be so much better if they knew they were set financially for life because of winning the lottery. I was asked repeatedly if I believed that being set financially for life would indeed help me to be less concerned. Wouldn't I be happier if I knew I never needed to worry about money?

My continued response was to disagree with the logic that was presented to me. As I thought about what God's Word says about money and how I am to live as a follower of Christ, I knew that with or without money, I can be content each day of my life.

Money will never lead to contentment in my life. Neither will things or people. The only thing that will fill that empty spot in my life is a growing relationship with the God of the universe. Blaise Pascal said, "There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the creator, made known through Jesus."

My life has times of ease, and times of real trials. Knowing that God walks through each situation with me gives me the strength I need. Paul says in his letter to the Philippians, "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

So, while being set financially for life is appealing to many, I would rather live life in a state of contentment whether I have a little or a lot. I believe at the end of the day, a life lived with contentment will always be the more joyful and happier life.

Deb Riddell
Thrift Store Manager

No comments: