Monday, April 2, 2012

Catastrophe

This morning I needed to go to the doctor...again. It was scary. You see, two years ago I was diagnosed with a rare cancer. I spent 2010 in medical treatment. Last Spring, I had to have some plastic surgery. After that last surgery I finally felt relief. I thought, "It's over...I can get on with my life." Until...last week I developed some pain and tenderness. But my return to Johns Hopkins was not so bad. In hindsight, it was a good visit. The worst part was waiting for it to come. Your mind can play tricks on you...blow things out of proportion. In psychological terms that's called catastrophizing.

Many of us catastrophize. The fear of the novocaine shot at the dentist, the nervousness before a public speech, negative thoughts about an experience we had or will have with someone important to us...all of these things can get bigger and bigger and somehow more powerful and suffocating if we don't "check" them.

Often, if we simply push through the negative thought or emotion, we come out on the other side wondering why we had gotten so worked up in the first place. Sometimes we need to force ourselves to have a new perspective. For instance, if we look at the tough conversation we need to have with our employer as an opportunity for healthy change instead of conflict, we will go into it with a more positive attitude. We won't want to avoid it, but instead we'll welcome it.

Catastrophizing can become a habit if we're not careful. The best way to combat that negative kind of habit is to  meditate on the truth. The truth is: Bad things happen. The truth also is: Good things happen. The truth is: God can take the bad things and bring them out like gold. The truth is: We will experience suffering in this world, but our suffering can draw us close to our Savior. The truth is: God is sovereign, protective and loving. The truth is: You are special to Him and He will be with you through every step of your life's journey.

My trip to Johns Hopkins was a lot less serious than my catrastrophizing thoughts were. So, today I know that my worrying accomplished nothing for me except maybe some increased blood pressure and anxiety...things I would like to do without. I'm going to think on this the next time my mind tries to create worst-case scenarios.

Shannon Shertzer, MS, NCC
Professional Counselor

No comments: