Monday, October 24, 2011

Meet in the Middle

We all relate to people in one way or another. It could be husband and wife, parent and child, boss and employee, friend and friend, or any numerous types of relationships. One thing is certain; any time you have extended interaction with other people, there WILL be times when you do not agree. How you handle this, can make or break the relationship.

I am not a big fan of country music, but since I have a 17-year-old daughter who listens to it a lot, I hear more of it than I would sometimes like to. The other day, I heard the song "Meet in the Middle" by Diamond Rio. Obviously, like most country music songs, this was a guy-meet-girl love song, but I think the message can extend to any type of relationship. I know there are issues (moral, religious, etc.) where there should not be give and take; however, in instances where it is just a matter of preference or opinion, maybe we could give a little like the lyrics of this song suggest. We may be pleasantly surprised how this improves a relationship.

I'd start walking your way
You'd start walking mine
We'd meet in the middle
'Neath that old Georgia pine
We'd gain a lot of ground
'Cause we'd both give a little
And there ain't no road too long
When you meet in the middle

~Mary Lehman

No comments: