Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Friendship Counseling

Many of us have friends and family members who confide in us when they are struggling with personal or relational issues. A lot of us intuitively know what to say in those situations. But some of us feel unsure how to help our loved ones through their suffering.

Suffering itself is a topic that leaves many of us scratching our heads. We wonder why certain people experience overwhelming crisis and loss. You may have heard the stories of people who lost children or spouses, then lost their jobs or developed cancer. Why do some people get bombarded with trial after trial?

I remember hearing Billy Graham asking the "Why" question. You can probably hear his distinctive voice asking, "Why do people suffer? Why does God allow pain?" And I remember his answer...I remember because I really wanted to know the answer...it was sort of an edge-of-your-seat moment for me. I personally needed to know why I was suffering. But our nation's pastor (as he's sometimes called) disappointed me; instead of saying something insightful, he said, "I don't know. I don't know why you are suffering right now..." However, he went on to say something very profound, "...but I do know God is here for you. And He understands your suffering."

About forty of us have been meeting on Monday evenings at our six-week Friendship Counseling Seminar to learn about how to help others with their particular struggles and sufferings. And though we may not know why our loved ones suffer, we're learning how to offer them hope. We're learning "suffering without hope leads to despair. But suffering with hope leads to redemption. Only  God can take a mess and make it a message."

And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character; and character, hope. Hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit whom He has given us. ~ Romans 5:2b-5

Shannon Shertzer, MS, NCC

No comments: