Monday, October 13, 2014

Customer Service

Some of the things we hope you find when you shop at New Hope Community Closet are clean, quality merchandise, a peaceful environment and caring friendly service.  While we hope to always deliver these, sometimes we struggle.  Lately I have been thinking about how caring and friendly my service is to our customers.
 
Some customers are easy for me.  I want to offer caring service to them.  But, some who shop in the thrift store are a little more difficult to be kind to and love.  How do I love the customer who talks without seeming to take a breath?  Their chatter can interrupt my interaction with other customers.  They ask question after question.  They take up a lot of my time.  And, they often come at the end of the day when I am tired and ready to go home.  Will I really show this customer caring service?  Or, will I seemingly show them caring service while in my mind I am being less than kind?
 
Or, what about the customer who really just does not smell good?  This customer is offensive to my sense of smell and is also very difficult to be around.  Other customers also notice and are offended by this customer's seeming lack of hygiene.  It is easy to hope that they quickly exit the store.
 
Have I shown either of these customers caring service?  Do I really show them love?  When asked what the greatest commandment is, Jesus replied “Love the Lord your God with all your mind.”  The second commandment is “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 
 
This may be easy when I like those around me, but what about those who are difficult to be around?
 
I do not have any answers to these questions.  Just questions.  I wonder how I really should live out these commandments.  But, do I even want to be a disciple and follow what Jesus taught?  Or, do I want to take the easy out.
 
I would love to hear your ideas on how to love those who are difficult.  But, I guess for each of us the answer comes when we listen for God's still small voice whispering to us-”This is how I would love that one.  Are you willing to do the same?  Remember-  I love you when you are difficult and your odor is offensive.  What will you do?”  Jesus patiently waits for me to decide which way I will go this time.  Hopefully, I am learning to love better and I really am offering caring, friendly service.
 
Deb Riddell
Closet Manager

No comments: