Monday, June 16, 2014

Summer Reading List

I have always loved to read. When I was a kid I never minded a rainy summer day. I usually had a book to read and a rainy day gave me an opportunity to get lost in the story of my book as I read for hours on end.

I no longer have the time to read for hours on end, but I usually have a stack of books that I would like to read. As I look ahead to summer and some vacation, I have several books that I am ready to dig into. Here is my summer reading list.

One of my favorite Christian authors is Francine Rivers and I look forward to enjoying "The Scarlett Thread". I love Francine Rivers because she has historical detail woven throughout her stories. Also, her characters seem real as they struggle through adversity.

I also love biographies and biographical books. My son recommended "Land of Second Chances" to my husband because it is the story of "The Impossible Rise of Rwanda's Cycling Team". My husband is an avid bicycle rider and has been enjoying reading through this book. There is history woven in this story that is "by turns horrifying, moving, and unexpectedly funny".

I heard about the next book from my daughter and also from the director of Solanco Neighborhood Ministries. "When Helping Hurts" is a non-fiction book that speaks on "how to alleviate poverty without hurting the poor and yourself". I hope to gain valuable insights for our Community Outreach committee at church.

I picked up "Ordering your Private World" by Gordon MacDonald a year or so ago, but have not read it yet. I have enjoyed some novels that Mr. MacDonald wrote and look forward to the insights I glean from this book. His novels are thought provoking, and I am sure this book will also make me think.

Joshua Harris is one of several younger writers that make me think through and evaluate some of the religious traditions that I grew up with. Are there areas in my life that I need to see in a different light? Where can I continue to grow? I have Joshua's book called "Dug Down Deep". I look forward to reading through some of his journey.

I am not sure how far I will get on my list this summer, but I have lots of options. I look forward to sitting by the water with iced tea and my books and enjoying the beauty of nature as I read.

Deb Riddell
Closet Manager

No comments: