Monday, May 5, 2014

Attitude

I have a Peanuts poster in my office that says, "Attitude is Contagious...Is yours worth Catching?" Some of the teenagers that come in my office have remarked that it is in their guidance counselor's office at school. Questions are asked about what the poster means. Have we become so apathetic that we don't understand the meaning of words?

According to Webster's American English Dictionary, attitude means an opinion or mood. As a counselor, I am to have a servant's attitude, one of humbleness and meekness and non-judgmental.

Contagious means transmittable or infectious. Other people will be affected by my behavior and attitude. As God's servant is my behavior Christ-like or do I need to have an "attitude adjustment"? The Bible has many verses that deal with all kinds of attitudes from bitterness and gloom to having a new and right spirit. We get so caught up in everything going on around us that we forget that others are watching our behavior which includes our attitude.

So we need to be reminded and ask ourselves, "is my attitude worth catching"?

Elaine Campbell, MA, MHC

1 comment: