Monday, April 14, 2014

Just Say "No"

In recent weeks, I’ve enjoyed the practice of Lent. Traditionally, a person takes the time between Ash Wednesday and Easter to fast from food. Some churches or denominations ask their parishioners to abstain from some sort of pleasure or comfort or idle distraction. It’s a way to prepare our hearts to focus more clearly on our Lord and His sacrifice for us.

I chose to fast from all white flours and sugars (except I allow myself a “treat” on the weekends) and from television. I’ve had to say “no” to myself many times over these past weeks. When I’ve been craving chocolate or a piece of toast, I’ve been tempted to cheat. I find myself involuntarily picking up the remote to watch TV when I’ve wanted some downtime. It hasn’t been easy to deny myself my favorite comforts; but it has been good.

I feel a bit more confident as I say “no” to myself. I’ve had the epiphany, “Wow! I can practice self-control.” When I lay down my head at night, I’m pleased that I drew close to God during a time of temptation and He proved Himself faithful to give me the strength I needed to overcome the temptation.

So, in addition to drawing closer to the Lord, I’ve learned something about myself. My fast motivates me. I have consecrated this tiny bit of time in March and April to choose something other than my own desires and wishes. And because it’s for God, I can do it!

I wonder what would happen if every day I chose a fast of some sort? On Monday, I could choose to say “no” to grumbling and complaining. On Tuesday, I’ll deny myself the whipped cream on my latte. Wednesday, no gossip. Thursday, I will get up a half hour earlier and exercise. Friday, I won’t say anything negative about my husband. Saturday, I won’t spend money on anything I don’t need. On Sunday, I won’t nap, but instead I’ll visit with some elderly neighbors.

In other words, I will choose each day to sacrifice some comfort or unhealthy behavior. Not a bad idea for changing a life from self-focus to God-focus. And really, I think that’s what Lent is about.

Isaiah 58:6-8

Is this not the fast which I choose, to loosen the bonds of wickedness, to undo the bands of the yoke, and to let the oppressed go free and break every yoke? Is it not to divide your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into the house; when you see the naked, to cover him; and not to hide yourself from your own flesh. Then your light will break out like the dawn; and your recovery will speedily spring forth; And your righteousness will go before you the glory of the Lord will be your rearguard.”
 
Shannon Shertzer

No comments: