Monday, July 8, 2013

The Power of Listening

     As a counselor, I think a lot about the power of listening. Listening is such a powerful tool and an important key to good communication. I can think of times when I was going through something and all I wanted is for the other person to listen. So often, we begin to jump in with suggestions and advice when the best thing we could do at that time is to have a powerful presence simply by listening. I am reminded about this is a devotional in my Bible which I will share with you:

 
Lend Me an Ear
~Susan Lenzkes
 
     Ears are busy these days. A listening, caring, available ear is increasingly difficult to find. Many seem permanently encased in the headphones of their own private interests. Others are busy vying for equal time with other parts of the body--such as an eye on the clock or a nose to the grindstone.
 
     Even a free ear isn't necessarily free just to listen. When people come to us with their troubles, many of us discover we have a birth defect; our earbone is connected to our mouthbone. When patience, understanding and encouragement are most needed, we give advice, platitudes and "My experience can top that" stories.
 
     The burdened who come to us needing to unburden are looking for an earbone connected to a heartbone.
 
     It's good to remember that "listen" and "silent" are made of the same six letters.
 
Lend every man thy ear, but few thy voice. Shakespeare
 
 
Submitted by: Ann L. Gantt, Ph.D., LCSW
New Hope Counselor


No comments: