Monday, April 15, 2013

Keep On Singing

Over the last year the song by Matt Redmond, 10,000 Reasons, has become very popular in churches and on Christian radio.  I first heard the song last September when a young girl from our congregation introduced it to us during our Worship and Praise time on a Sunday morning. I liked it immediately and the more I heard it the more I loved it.

Singing has always been a part of my life.  My parents sang a lot.  I grew up on a chicken farm and if I entered the chicken house looking for my father I just stood and listened where the singing was coming from (although sometimes it was hard to hear over the cackling of the chickens!). My mother sang or hummed as she worked around the house. Naturally my siblings and I sang too.  I didn't know that there were some families who didn't sing as they went about their daily lives until I was in my teenage years and a friend expressed astonishment that my family was always singing. 

We didn't always sing the correct words and we certainly weren't the most musically gifted family, but we still sang.  I actually don't have that great a voice but I still sing. I married a man who has a lot of trouble staying on key, but thankfully he still sings. His trademark is making up songs and singing them. The songs he sang to the children when they were little were absolutely goofy but the kids loved them and he taught them well.  All of them are quite capable of putting words to any tune.  You will not be around one of my children for very long, before you will hear them singing. If you are lucky enough for them not to know you are there, you will be treated to the most ridiculous, hilarious tunes that you can imagine. The other day my daughter, Megan, heard her brother Josh bellowing a song and substituting humorous lyrics in place of the actual ones. She said the song (with the incorrect words) has been stuck in her head ever since. My 3-year old granddaughter Alexis, rode with Uncle Josh in his truck one afternoon and to his delight and her mother's dismay she now happily and lustily sings "baby monkey, baby monkey, riding on a pig, baby monkey..." Also, if you ever happen to sneak into the shop when my sons Shawn and Josh are working on their trucks you will hear a men's duet like you have never heard before.

I am telling you all of this to explain why I love this song. I love the tune but even more I love the words, because it is exactly how I feel about singing.

"the sun comes up, it's a new day dawning, it's time to sing Your song again....let me be singing when the evening comes....for all your goodness I will keep on singing...."

The Bible has a lot of references to singing. The Psalms are filled with songs. Jesus and his disciples sang together before they went out to the Mount of Olives. Paul and Silas sang in jail.  I think the Lord loves when we sing together and I can't help but think he even enjoys the silly little songs we make up to entertain each other. I pray that I will never stop singing and when  "the end draws near and my time has come" I plan to sing God's praises "ten thousand years and then forevermore."

If you have never heard the song and even if you have, I hope you enjoy this video and that you can find in your heart some reasons to keep on singing.




~Mary Lehman
Secretary

No comments: