Tuesday, December 11, 2012

God's Love Letter to Us

My husband and I had a long distance dating relationship. Since this was before email and cell phones we wrote letters to each other several times a week. I waited with anticipation for those letters and read them with joy and excitement. I grew anxious if it went too many days and I did not receive a letter. I still have those love letters and they are very dear to me.

God also wrote us a love letter. His love letter to us is the Bible. God spoke through kings, prophets and priests for a long time. But then, God's words stopped coming to His chosen people that He loved dearly. I wonder what the people thought during this time of silence? Did they wonder if they were no longer favored and loved? Had they angered God? Why did He not speak? How long can I wait to hear from my God again?

And then--the angel came. The angel came to ordinary people like you and me and he spoke words from God. How much wonder do you think these ordinary people felt when they realized that the God of Heaven had broken His silence and spoken to them? What did Elizabeth, Mary, and Joseph think? How much wonder did they feel as they thought through what had been spoken to them? The Savior was coming!!! God still loves us and did not forget us! And then the shepherds heard an angel. Have you ever really considered what the shepherds thought as that night unfolded before them?

To many of us, the Christmas story is so familiar that we fail to see the wonder of it all. As we journey through these next weeks of Advent I challenge you to again see the wonder of the greatest gift that we have been given. As you read the familiar story again, take time to think about how each person really felt as they realized that God had broken His silence of several hundred years. Take time to reflect that God never stopped loving and He did not forget even though He was silent. Take time to consider the wonder each ordinary person must have felt as they lived through the story. And, as you reflect and again experience the wonder of it all, may you remember how deeply loved you are by God. Share that love and wonder with others this Advent season.

May each of you experience an Advent season full of wonder and love.

Deb Riddell
Closet Manager

No comments: