Friday, June 15, 2012

"God Is Faithful"

As the secretary at New Hope, one of my duties is to make the schedule for writing the blog that we post on our website each week. I didn't realize when I made the schedule in April that I had assigned myself the weekend of Father's Day and I certainly didn't realize that when that date arrived I would no longer have a father.

My dad died on May 3, 2012. Some of you may remember that I wrote about my father in the blog that was posted on September 19, 2011. Dad lived next door to me and for the past six years I have regularly spent the 1/2 hour between 7:00 and 7:30 pm with him as we chatted about the day's events and watched Jeopardy together.

My dad had an easy chair that he liked to sit in and beside the chair he kept his Bible and other reading materials. In the morning he always had his devotions and throughout the day he would meditate on it and write notes to himself and keep them beside his chair or in his Bible. As we visited together in the evening, he usually shared with me the scripture that he was meditating on that day.

On the last evening before he died, my son Jay visited with him. Dad was really tired, and didn't talk much but as Jay was saying his good-bye, my dad thanked him for coming and said to him, "God is faithful." These words were almost the final ones that Dad would say. Early the next morning he died in his sleep.

I miss my dad and I have not been able to bring myself to watch Jeopardy since his death. That show was a special time for the two of us and right now the memory is still too fresh and recent. However, God has been faithful to me as well and I am doing okay. I am able to understand and appreciate what a blessing it was that Dad died peacefully at home. He was ready to die and was excited about meeting his Lord and Savior who had been so faithful to him throughout his life. I know that eventually I will probably watch Jeopardy again and when I do it will bring back good memories of time spent with my father.

Life is a journey. Sometimes the journey is easy and sometimes it is difficult. But through it all, God is faithful.

Mary Lehman
New Hope Secretary


                                                     My Dad and his friend Chip

No comments: