Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Little Things

     All of us go through times where we feel completely overwhelmed and discouraged.  Things just aren't going right. It may be relationships, finances, busyness, or any number of things that creep into your life that you feel you just can't handle.  Sometimes it feels like when one thing goes wrong then everything goes wrong.
     I have noticed that when I feel down, it is often the little things that can pick me up.  Last week was a good example of this.  I was feeling overwhelmed with things that needed done and people who needed my attention.  My aging father was complaining of chest pains, finances were tight, my housework was not getting done and the lawn needed mowed.  On top of all this the lawn mower was broken so the hope of getting it mowed in the near future was slim. 
     I decided to start with one small thing.  I swept my kitchen floor.  It made me feel SOO much better. From there I cleaned the bathroom and my mood brightened considerably.  I walked outside and  peeping out from the unkept flower beds were bright red tulips.  Suddenly I felt like weeding a little bit.  I pulled away the weeds and soon more flowers appeared.  Amazingly, my world didn't seem so bad any more.
     I think sometimes we believe something big has to happen to improve our situation and outlook on life. However, I am amazed how something small--like a flower, or a kind word--can make a huge difference in the way we perceive things.  Look for something small today that you can do or say to cheer you or a friend. After all, if God takes care of the lilies of the field and the sparrows, (Matt. 6:28) He will surely take care of you and I. ~ Mary
P.S. I am happy to say that the lawn mower is now fixed and my lawn is mowed!

No comments: